Bed and Breakfast Accessibility Workshop
Accessible Equals Successful For Your Bed and Breakfast
The hospitality industry knows that accessible equals successful. In our Bed and Breakfast Accessibility Workshop, we demystifying a lot of false fear producing information that is found on the web about ADA requirements for Bed and Breakfasts.
- One article on a well known Bed and Breakfast website even mentioned the horrors of having to accommodate service pigs and service monkeys. FALSE!
- Another article talked about how Bed and Breakfasts are exempt from ADA codes if the owner lives in the home! FALSE
- Many articles talk about how they are exempt from accessibility requirements because they are a historical building. FALSE!
- Some innkeepers look at the ADA, Americans With Disabilities Act, as something punitive and an expensive inconvenience. FALSE!
- Innkeepers have told me that they don’t get guests with wheelchairs, so they don’t need to be accessible. FALSE!
An accessible inn is appealing to “variously-abled” guests, providing a financial benefit, not a detriment! Seniors, guests recovering from medical procedures, people with arthritis, limited mobility, hearing impairment, low vision and other medical conditions benefit from staying in an accessible guest room.
Remember that only 5% of guests who live with a disability are wheelchair users.
80% of tourism dollars are spent by Baby Boomers.
Disability Smart Solutions prepared this workshop to benefit the Bed and Breakfast Inn Industry. We are now booking speaking engagements for 2015 and 2016. Please forward our information to your meeting planner. Please call Susan at 407-310-3663 or use our contact form.
The ” Accessible Equals Successful For Your Bed and Breakfast: Workshop” pairs well with a walking tour of a local Bed and Breakfast discussing architectural barriers and solutions. Meeting Planners also pair this workshop with the following workshops for a full day of conference activities.
Meeting planners often choose our workshops “Disability Etiquette: Graciously Handle Potentially Awkward Customer Service Situations” and “Increase Your Bottom Line By Engaging ALL Ability Consumers” for Bed and Breakfast industry events. Please visit or ADA Speaking Topics page for a wide selection of available workshops. Please visit or page Speaker Workshop and Fees for information on booking us and a list of marketing bonus items.
Accessible Equals Successful For Your Bed and Breakfast: Workshop: Teaching Topics
- ADA Law and Bed and Breakfasts
- Diversity: People living with a disability are Americas largest minority group.
- ADA is a Civil Rights law. States may adopt the same or more stringent requirements as a Building Code.
- What are disabilities?
- Disability types include mobility, sensory, and dexterity.
- How do simple changes in space increase the guest experience for people who live with a disability?
- Common architectural barriers and solutions
- Communication barriers and solutions
- What the website needs to say to engage more guests who are looking for accessible accommodations.
- What to ask during the reservation process.
- How different accommodations are used by guests with different physical abilities.
- How to budget for accommodations.
- Tax credits
- How to Avoid an ADA discrimination lawsuit.
- How to market your accessible rooms, to both the disabled community and to travelers wanting the style of luxury you create in your accessible guestrooms.
We look forward to discussing our Bed and Breakfast Accessibility Workshop and your event planning needs for speakers, breakout sessions, lunch and learns, undercover disabled guest experience and more. Contact us.